Engadiner Nusstorte (Engadine Nut Cake)
- 180 gm Butter (6.5 ounce)
- 150 gm Granulated sugar (5.5 ounce)
- 300 gm Sifted flour (10.75 ounce) Egg
- 1 dsh Salt
- 200 gm Granulated sugar (7 ounce)
- 225 gm Walnuts, coarsley minced (8 ounce)
- 2 1/2 dl Whipping cream (1/2 pint)
- 2 Tbsp. Honey Butter, flour Egg yolk
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl, cut the butter into small pcs, rub the flour and butter rapidly between the tips of your fingers. Add in egg and egg yolk, salt and sugar, blend quickly into a smooth dough. Cold in the refrigerator for 1 - 2 hrs.
- In a small saucepan caramelize the sugar till a light brown. Stir in all the nuts, mix well, add in cream and honey, bring to the boil.
- Preheat the oben to 180 oC (356 oF).
- Roll out 2/3 the dough to a thickness of 3 mm (1/8 in). Butter a false-bottomed cake pan (21 cm, 8 1/4 in) in diameter, dust with flour and line with the dough leaving a 3.5 cm ( 1 3/8 in) edge. Prick the dough with a fork and pour the nut-mix into the pan. Spread out proportionately. Roll out the remaining dough, cut into a circle the size of the baking pan and cover the nut-mix. Press edges together and baste the top with egg yolk.
- Bake for 50-55 min. Take the cake out of the pan when it is lukewarm and leave it on a cake rack to cold.
Leave a review or comment