- 3 lb (about 10) onions, diced
- 1 x Beef brisket, 1st cut only, 3-5 pounds
- 1 can Rokeach Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Carmel Beef Broth pwdr Boiling water Garlic Pwdr Grnd pepper
- This is my mother-in-law's brisket recipe. She is a wonderful cook and has taught me many of her recipes! This brisket is one of my favorites. Make sure you make it at least 1 day in advance so which you can slice it when it's cool. I made the Passover flourless chocolate cake for Friday night's dessert. I toasted the almonds first, and baked only for 1 hour instead of 1.5 hrs. It was great!
- Place tin foil over the bottom of the cover of the roasting pan, so which cover is "flat". Place onions in bottom of roasting pan. Place brisket in pan. Season brisket on both sides with garlic pwdr, pepper and tomato sauce. Pour 1/2 can boiling water into tomato sauce can and pour on the brisket, removing all sauce from can. Mix beef broth mix with 1 c. boiling water, and add in to roasting pan. Cover.
- Bake at 400 F on bottom rack for approx. 3-4 hrs. After 1.5 hrs, turn brisket over. After 3 hrs, check if more water is needed. Stop cooking when brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket to a plate, scraping all sauce into roasting pan. Cover brisket well and chill. Scrape ALL sauce/gravy out of roasting pan into a small bowl. Make sure you get everything out! Cover and chill bowl.
- The next day, slice the brisket against the grain into thin slices. Cover and chill till you are ready to serve it. (It can also be frzn at this point).
- 20 min before serving, spread some sauce on the bottom of a pyrex dish.
- Place slices of brisket on top (overlapping, if necessary). Put some more sauce on top of brisket slices. Bake at 350 F for approx. 20 min till heated.
Leave a review or comment