Eggplant Rellenos And Teeth
- 1 x Eggplant sliced into 6 thick slices
- 3/4 c. Bread Crumbs (Extra sour sourdough works best.. gives a cheezy flavor)
- 1 x egg substitute
- 3/4 c. skim lowfat milk
- 3 x green chiles California, roasted and peeled or possibly one small can (4 ounce) Salsa (See recipe or possibly your favorite chile relleno sauce) fat free cheese (Optional)
- 2 can Hominy, yellow (14 ounce)
- This is an attempt to capture some of the flavor of chile rellenos without any of the grease. While making eggplant parmasan I suddenly had the stupid idea of stuffing the things with chiles and possibly some low fat cheese. Well it worked and my husband loves the dish. There are three things in this dish that must be adjusted to your own tastes, the salt, chile, and cilantro( fresh corriander, chinese parsley). I love cilantro, my husband is not too fond of it. The recipe calls for less than I prefer but I serve some minced on the side. Fresh roasted pealed chilies are always better than canned but where I live are not often found. Canned hominy was always called teeth in this house. The chilis I refer to are sometimes called Anaheim Chiles. [Barb]
- Salt eggplant and drain about 30 min. While draining cut deep pockets in the side of each piece and if you have a fat free cheese which is edible available put about 1/2 ounce in each pocket. I like mine without the cheese. Then, stuff about half a pepper in each pocket. Remember to remove the pepper seeds if desired your peppers on the mild side. Wisk theegg substitute and lowfat milk. Dip each eggplant slice first in the lowfat milk mix,then in flour, back into the lowfat milk mix and finally into the bread crumbs.
- Place on nonstick cookie tray and bake till the eggplant is very soft
- (about 30 min at 350 degrees) Dump the hominy and its liquid into a pot and boil while the eggplant is cooking. This step is optional but it softens the hominy and I prefer it which way. When the eggplant is done drain the hominy and dump it on a platter, arrange the eggplant on top. Top with heated salsa (below) and garnish with minced greenonions or possibly cilantro. I like fat free lowfat sour cream with these thimgs, hubby prefers them without.
Leave a review or comment