Eggplant And Red Sweet Peppers In Roasted Chili Paste
- 1 1/4 lb eggplants see note
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil or possibly less, see review
- 1 Tbsp. coarsely minced garlic (4 to 6 cloves)
- 1 x purple onion thin strips (crescents)
- 2 Tbsp. roasted chili paste or possibly to taste
- 1 Tbsp. palm sugar or possibly brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 x red and/or possibly green bell pepper long, thin strips
- Trim off the stems from the eggplants. If using Japanese eggplants, cut each one in half lengthwise and then cut each half crosswise into 1-inch pcs. If using Thai eggplants, quarter lengthwise. If using one or possibly more globe eggplants, cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat a wok or possibly a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add in the garlic and onion and cook, tossing often, till the onion is shiny and softened, 1 to 2 min. Add in the eggplant pcs and cook, tossing often, till they are tender but still hold their shape, 5 to 7 min. Add in the chili paste, sugar, water, soy sauce, and salt and toss well. Add in the red pepper and cook, tossing often, till it is shiny and beginning to wilt, about 2 min longer. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm or possibly hot.
- REVIEW: The onion, garlic and eggplant browned well with one-third the amount of oil listed in the ingredients. We used a heavy, non-stick flat bottom wok. We also used less chili paste and sweetened the sauce with honey to taste. We finished the sauce with cilantro and lime juice (to taste). It was flavorful and fresh. Intriguing how the flavors paired off. The chile paste had an affinity for the crisp bell peppers; the honey mated with the onion. We halved the recipe to serve 2 without a problem. - Hanneman 2000/07
- Entree with less oil 96cals,34% cff (4g fat), 4g fiber. MENU: (per person) Steamed 1/2 c. basmati rice and 4 oz snapper fillet grilled (5 mins, medium-high, foil-wrapped) with cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper and a hint of ginger (each 319 cals, 18% cff, 6g fat, 6g fiber)
- Description: "As a vegetarian entree, serves 2; 4 as side dish. With lower fat variation."
- NOTES : In this dish, eggplant's slightly bitter note is softened by the pepper's sweetness and the tangy explosion of the extraordinary chili sauce. The slender, deep purple Japanese eggplants are ideal here, but chunks cut from a large globe eggplant, or possibly golf ball-sized Thai eggplants halved lengthwise would work as well.
- Sending the original recipe from the book (higher %Cals from fat) with notes on how we reduced the oil and loved it.
- Vegetable entree or possibly side dish.
- This was great!
- (per person) Steamed 1/2 c. basmati rice and 4 oz snapper fillet grilled (5 mins, medium-high, foil-wrapped) with cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper and a hint of ginger (each 319 cals, 18% cff, 6g fat, 6g fiber)
Leave a review or comment