Eggless Macaroni Cheese PiePrep: 1 hours Cook: 30 min Servings: 9by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
This Friday I planned for Macaroni Cheese Pie, actually first I thought of Mac and Cheese, then I searched my pantry for required ingredients but unfortunately I had no good cheese in hand so dropped the idea but then found some short crust pastry stored in refrigerator, immediately flipped pages of some of the American Cookbooks and zeroed down to this recipe.
- For the crust:
- 1 Cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 60g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ Cup ice cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- For the filling:
- 1 Cup macaroni, boiled
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Cup milk
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- salt and black pepper, as per taste
- 1 Cup grated cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp mixed herbs (oregano, chili flakes, thyme)
- For serving:
- Few basil leaves
- Grilled cherry tomatoes flavored with salt, pepper and Balsamic vinegar
- Sift flour and salt in a bowl. Rub in chilled butter with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. This can be done in food processor as well.
- Now adding a tsp of water at a time bind the dough together. Do not add all the water at a time, this might make dough soft. We need firm, smooth dough.
- Once dough comes together do not knead it too much, else butter will start melting.
- Wrap the dough with cling foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling, this can be done one or two days before as well.
- While preparing filling, keep the dough at room temperature.
- To prepare the filling, dissolve flour in ¼ cup milk and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add the flour mixture and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled macaroni, salt, pepper, mixed herbs and flour mixture along with remaining milk. Let it simmer over low flame until sauce is thick and creamy for about 5 - 10 minutes. Switch off the gas and let the filling cool.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Grease a 9 inch pie dish with oil or butter.
- Roll out the crust dough into a ½ inch thick and 10 inch round on a lightly dusted floured surface.
- Line your pie dish with the pastry, trim of the excess dough from the edges, prick the centre with a fork and put in fridge for 10 - 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes blind bake (see here) the pastry for 15 minutes.
- Once pastry is cooked, spoon the macaroni filling into the pastry crust, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.
- Once done, sprinkle basil leaves and grilled tomatoes on top, drizzle few lugs of olive oil and serve hot.
Leave a review or comment