Easy Black Eyed Pea CurryPrep: 10 min Cook: 35 min Servings: 4by Myra Byanka1 recipe>
I love east Indian food, but these days am not into using a bunch of hard to find ingredients, as I now live in a small town that has no ethnic foods to buy, except central American stuff. This recipe is Americanized for ease of prep and available ingredients. Serve with rice and favorite flatbread.
- 1-2 T oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 T cumin powder
- 1 T McCormick's Curry Powder or your choice
- 2 cans black eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup spinach, chiffonade, or frozen, chopped
- 4 C veggie or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- 1/2 C plain yogurt ( I use Greek)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Saute onions and garlic in oil.
- Add spices and cook a few seconds.
- Add broth and vegetables and peas.
- Add salt, if needed.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, remove from stove.
- Stir in yogurt, top with cilantro.
Leave a review or comment