Easter MaritozziPrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 12by Evelyn Scott106 recipes>
Rising Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes If you want to make something even more sinful, Italian pastry shops often squirt whipped cream into maritozzi using a pastry bag after they have cooled, and also dust them with confectioner's sugar. :
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 8 Tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/3 cup raisins or currents sprinkled with 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup pignoli nuts
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- In a mixing bowl dissolve 2 1/2 tsps. yeast in 3 Tbls. water.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and knead for 5 minutes.
- Dough should be light and spongy
- Let rise until doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hrs
- Punch dough down and take egg-sized pieces and shape them into somewhat flattened ovals.
- Dip each one into beaten eggs and roll in sugar.
- Place on a well-greased sheet pan and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 F for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool
Leave a review or comment