Easter Bunny CakePrep: 30m min Cook: 30m min Servings: 12by B Innes83 recipes>
Easter Bunny Cake This cake can be made as a single layer or as a double layer cake. You will need either a very large platter or a large round cake disc to set the cake up on.
- 4-8" round cake pans greased and floured
- 2 - recipes of your favorite cake or 2 boxes of cake mix
- Jelly beans 3 dark and 2 light colored
- licorice sticks
- shredded coconut, If you have allergies to coconut try shredding white chocolate
- 2 recipes for butter cream icing
- Ingredients for Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup butter or shortening or a combination of both
- 3 - 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 2 - 3 tbs heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Following the directions for your chosen cake make 4 8" round cakes. Layer the cakes with a flat side on the bottom and ice the center thick enough so the rounded top of the bottom layer will support the flat bottom of the second cake, with the top of the cake rounded. After you have iced centers cut one layer cake in half. Arrange the circular cake at the bottom of your platter and place the two halves with the cut side facing out above as ears. For best presentation put the doilies on the platter before the cake and arrange wax paper around the edges of cake so that when you ice sides the icing won't get on the doilies.
- Ice top and sides of layered cakes and then coat sides and top with coconut leaving a uncoated area where the eyes and nose will go and a smaller clear area where the teeth will go.
- Place the dark jelly beans for eyes and nose on cake and decorate with six licorice sticks as whiskers if sticks look too thick split them with a knife. Take on piece of licorice and cut in half length wise leaving about an inch uncut at the top. Spread it for the mouth and place the lighter jelly beans in between as teeth.
- Butter Cream Icing
- There are a number of tricks to a good buttercream icing. If your going to having the cake out in a warm area or if you want the icing to be very white substitute ½ to all the butter with shortening, if your going to use an all shortening recipe for a "very white" icing use about ¼ cup additional shortening.. There are a number of flavorings that are made "clear" use them to flavor an all white frosting, and if you truly like the butter flavor needed, use a no color butter flavoring.
- Basics for all the recipes are cream the butter well and then add the flavorings and slowly add the sugar. Scrap the bowl down often to completely combine the ingredients. The icing will appear a little stiff at this point, and to thin to your desired consistency add the heavy cream or light corn syrup and whip the icing at a higher speed to make it airy and light and fluffy. Refrigerate for a while before working with it.
- Directions for Buttercream Icing
- Cream the butter well, then add the vanilla and salt, slowly add the sugar with the mixer on a slow speed scraping down the sides of the bowl often to incorporate all the sugar. Once combined add the heavy cream 1 tbs at a time and mix at medium high speed until you have the desired consistency. Can be refrigerated up to a week covered in the refrigerator.
Leave a review or comment