Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Pie With Mocha Fudge Sauce
- 1/3 c. minced pecans
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2/3 c. vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (from about 32 cookies)
- 1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (1/4 stick) melted
- 2 Tbsp. boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso pwdr (or possibly instant coffee pwdr)
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 2 ounce unsweetened chocolate finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pt caramel ice cream (such as dulce de leche)
- 1/2 c. chilled whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. minced pecans
- For crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend pecans and sugar in processor till pecans are finely grnd. Add in cookie crumbs and cinnamon and process to combine. Add in butter and blend till moist clumps form. Press crust onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch glass pie dish. Bake till crust is lightly toasted, about 10 min. Cold completely.
- For sauce: Stir 2 Tbsp. boiling water and coffee pwdr in small bowl till pwdr is dissolved. Whisk sugar and cocoa in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in 1 c. cream, corn syrup, and coffee mix. Add in chocolate and butter. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer till slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 4 min. Cold 30 min. Stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Soften 1 pint ice cream at room temperature 15 min. Spread proportionately over bottom of crust. Drizzle 3 Tbsp. sauce over ice cream. Freeze till sauce sets, about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, soften remaining 1 pint ice cream at room temperature 15 min. Spread proportionately atop sauce. Drizzle with 3 Tbsp. sauce. Freeze pie till frzn, at least 4 hrs. (Sauce and pie can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill sauce. Keep pie frzn.)
- Rewarm mocha fudge sauce over low heat, stirring often. Whip 1/2 c. chilled cream, powdered sugar, and remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla in medium bowl till peaks form. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe rosettes of cream around top edge of pie. Sprinkle with minced pecans. Cut pie into wedges and serve with sauce.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Comments: Start this a day ahead and freeze overnight. For the crust, blend crumbled vanilla wafer cookies in a processor till crumbs form.
Leave a review or comment