Duck With Honey Peppercorn Sauce
- 2 x boneless duck breasts with skin - (6 to 7 ounce ea)
- 2 Tbsp. butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1/2 c. minced onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced sweet gherkin pickles
- 1 c. chicken stock (or possibly canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid removed green peppercorns in brine Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Heat heavy large skillet over high heat. Cook duck, skin-side down, till skin is dark brown and fat is rendered, about 5 min. Turn duck over and cook to desired doneness, about 6 min for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Tent with foil to keep hot.
- Pour off drippings from skillet. Heat 1 Tbsp. butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion and gherkins and saute/fry till beginning to brown, about 5 min. Add in stock and honey and boil till syrupy, about 5 min. Stir in all peppercorns and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add in remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and whisk till sauce is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice duck crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Fan duck slices on plates. Spoon peppercorn sauce over and serve.
- This recipe yields 2 servings.
Leave a review or comment