Drago's Eggplant Souffle In Tomato Basil Sauc
- celestino drago
- 1 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 7 x japanese eggplants
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1 x zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 x sweet red pepper tomato-basil sauce
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med potato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1/2 med onion, thinly sliced
- 3 c. diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. =to 1 bunch basil
- 4 Tbsp. minced fresh basil salt
- 1 tsp minced fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. butter salt
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 x tomato, seeded and peeled
- IL TIMBALLO DI MELANZANE CON PREA DI POMODORO (Drago's Eggplant Souffle in Tomato-Basil Sauce) Peel eggplants, cut into cubes and set aside. Cut whole zucchini into quarters. Remove centers and throw away. Cut remaining zucchini into cubes and set aside. Repeat process with pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in sauteepan, add in eggplant cubes, potato, onion, basil and oregano and season to taste with salt. Sauteeuntil golden brown. Add in tomato and cook approximately 10 min.
- Pour eggplant mix into food processor and blend till smooth. Add in Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and Large eggs into processor and blend 5 seconds.
- Lace 8 (6-oz) timbals with butter. Cover bottom of c. with minced zucchini and pepper and fill rest of c. with processed eggplant mix. Cook in bain marie at 350F 40 min.
- Remove timbals from oven and let standin hot place 15 min.
- When ready to serve, spoon small amount Tomato-Basil Sauce on individual serving plates, then flip souffle c. onto top of each plate. Serve hot.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Drago serves these individual souffles as appetizers at his restaurant. It's a wonderful use of eggplant, one of the most commonly used vegetables in Sicily. It's essential which you use good Parmesan- the cheese is what rounds out the flavor.
- For Tomato-Basil Sauce:Place extra virgin olive oil and onion in saucepan and sauteeuntil golden brown. Add in tomatoes, basil and season to taste with salt. Cook 10 min on low heat.
- Heat butter in separate pan, add in flour and mix well. Add in butter- flour mix to tomato sauce and cook few more min. Remove basil leaves from sauce and blend sauce in blender till smooth and creamy.
- Makes 2 c..
Leave a review or comment