Deep Dish Sausage, Bell Pepper And Onion Pizza
- 1 lb Pizza dough, thawed, if frzn
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings discarded
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. Thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 c. Thinly sliced onion Salt and freshly grnd pepper to taste
- 3 x Cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 c. Fresh marinara sauce, available in refrigerator sections of supermarkets
- 1 1/2 tsp Dry oregano, crumbled
- 2 c. Pre-grated mozzarella cheese, (about 1/2 lb.)
- 3 Tbsp. Freshly grated Parmesan Thinly sliced basil leaves, if you like
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Roll out or possibly stretch dough to fit into skillet, pressing it with oiled fingers till it comes 2 inches up the sides and is an even thickness on bottom. Let dough rise in a hot place for 10 min.
- In a skillet set over moderate heat cook the sausage, stirring, till it is no longer pink. Transfer to a plate. Add in 2 Tbsp. oil to the skillet and heat it till warm. Add in the peppers, onion, salt and pepper and cook the mix, stirring occasionally, till vegetables are softened, about 5 min. Add in the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Return the sausage to the pan, add in the Marinara sauce and oregano and simmer the mix, stirring occasionally, for 10 min more.
- Sprinkle dough with half of mozzarella and top with sausage mix and remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan and drizzle with remaining oil. Bake in lower third of an electric oven or possibly on floor of a gas oven for 15 min. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. and bake 10 min more, or possibly till crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with basil.
- Yield: 6 servings
Leave a review or comment