Deep Dish Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
- 3/4 c. Sugar
- 1/3 c. Flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Grnd cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Grnd cloves
- 1 lb Fresh rhubarb
- 1 pt Strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or possibly margarine FLAKY PASTRY II (or possibly 1/2 package pie crust mix) Lowfat milk or possibly cream Sugar
- 1 1/2 c. Flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c. Vegetable shortening
- 4 Tbsp. ,Water, cool, approx
- Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl; cut in shortening with a fork or possibly pastry blender till mix is crumbly. Sprinkle cool water over mix, 1 Tbsp. at a time; mix lightly with a fork just till pastry holds together and leaves sides of bowl clean. Make a ball; flatten it. Wrap dough in plastic and store in refrigerator till ready for use.
- Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl.
- Wash rhubarb; trim ends; cut into 1-inch pcs (You should have 6 c.).
- Wash strawberries; hull and halve (you should have 4 c.). Place both in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar mix; toss lightly to mix. Let stand 15 min. Toss again.
- Spoon rhubarb-strawberry filling into an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish; dot with butter or possibly margarine.
- Prepare pastry. Roll out to a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut in 1/2-inch strips with a pastry wheel or possibly knife. Weave strips into a lattice. Cover filling. Turn ends under just sufficient so which strips touch sides of baking dish. Brush lattice top with lowfat milk or possibly cream; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in warm oven (425 F) for 40 min, or possibly till pastry is golden brown and juices bubble up. Cold. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream, if you wish.
- [ Family Circle All-Time Baking Favorites; 1974 ]
Leave a review or comment