Danish Apple Cake
- 3 lb cooking apples cored, peeled, and quartered
- 1/4 c. water
- 2/3 c. sugar Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. fine bread or possibly cake crumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsps sweet butter
- 1 jar raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8" baking pan that is 3" deep. In a covered saucepan simmer the apples with water, sugar, orange rind, juice, and vanilla for about 25 min. Mash and set aside. Mix the crumbs, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and brown lightly in a skillet with 2 Tbsp. of the butter.
- Place a little of the crumb mix on bottom of pan. Cover with a layer of the apple puree. Cover this with a layer of raspberry jam. Alternate crumbs, apples, and jam, finishing with a layer of the crumb mix on top. Using a large wooden spoon, press layers down firmly. Pour 1/2 c. melted butter. over cake and bake for 40 min or possibly till hard. Cold cake, unmold on a serving plate.
Leave a review or comment