Curried Pumpkin And Apricot Soup
- 1 x onion, finely minced
- 1 tsp butter or possibly margarine
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 10 ounce pumpkin or possibly winter squash peeled, seeded, and roughly minced
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger root
- 1/2 tsp grnd coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp red chile flakes
- 6 c. boiling vegetable stock or possibly water
- 4 ounce dry apricots, roughly minced
- 6 Tbsp. short-grain rice Salt and pepper, to taste Minced parsley, (optional)
- Makes 6 servings
- This velvety soup is delicately spiced. Many commercial curry powders will be too strident for it, but you can replace the spices below with 1-1/2 tsp. garam masala and 1-1/2 tsp. mild curry pwdr.
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, over medium-high heat, saute/fry onion in butter and oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 min, till golden brown.
- 2. Add in pumpkin, mustard seeds, turmeric, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, and chiles. Stir constantly for 1 minute, till fragrant.
- 3. Add in stock, apricots, rice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 min, till vegetables are very tender and rice is split.
- 4. In batches, puree soup in food processor or possibly blender. Reheat soup to serving temperature and sprinkle with parsley, if you like.
Leave a review or comment