Curried Chickpeas, Cauliflower And Spinach
- 3 c. cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 med garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 lrg onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp. good-quality curry pwdr
- 4 med carrots thinly sliced
- 3 c. minced (2" pcs) green cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable broth or possibly water
- 4 c. cooked chickpeas (or possibly rinsed and liquid removed canned chickpeas)
- 3/4 c. coconut lowfat milk
- 4 1/2 c. coarsely-minced stemmed spinach
- 1/2 c. minced fresh cilantro
- In wok, bring 2 1/2 qts lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add in cauliflower and cook 2 min. Drain well.
- In wok, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add in garlic, onion and 1 tsp. salt and stir-fry 1 minute. Add in curry pwdr and stir-fry 1 minute. Add in remaining 1/2 Tbsp. oil, carrots, cabbage and remaining 1 tsp. salt and stir-fry 2 min.
- Gradually drizzle broth around outer perimeter of vegetables (not in center). Cover and cook 2 min. Stir in chickpeas and coconut lowfat milk, and cook, uncovered, 2 1/2 min.
- Add in spinach, reserved cauliflower and cilantro and cook, stirring, just till spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute, and serve warm.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: For this recipe, treat yourself to the regular coconut lowfat milk rather than the reduced-fat version - it's luscious and flavorful. Cauliflower is too dense and thick a vegetable to cook properly in a wok from raw, so it's precooked first. Serve this curry with steamed basmati rice or possibly toasted chapati or possibly pita bread to catch all the savory sauce.
Leave a review or comment