Cuban Style Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches And Fried Plantains
- 1 2/3 lb pork tenderloin - (to 2 lbs) trimmed (average pkg weight for 2 pcs) Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (or possibly vegetable oil)
- 1 sm onion chopped
- 4 x garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 x limes zested
- 1 lrg orange zested
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp coarsely-grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 8 x crusty rolls (such as Portuguese rolls, torpedo loaves or possibly muffaletta style round rolls)
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 c. corn oil
- 4 x black (ripe) plantains
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 6 x dill pickles minced
- 1/2 c. sweet red pepper relish
- 2 x scallions minced
- 1 lb shaved ham from the deli counter
- 1 lb shaved Swiss cheese from the deli counter
- 4 Tbsp. butter for toasting sandwiches Frzn Mohito Slushes (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat tenderloins with oil. Combine onion, garlic, citrus zest, salt, pepper and dry oregano in a pile on your cutting board. Pack this coating equally and proportionately onto the tenderloins. Heat a large skillet. Add in a drizzle of oil and sear tenderloin on all sides. Then place in warm oven to roast 20 to 25 min. Wash hands.
- Brush rolls with a little hot water and sprinkle the tops of the rolls with 1/2 tsp. sugar each. Pile rolls on a baking sheet and place in oven with meat for 5 min to crust rolls and set sugar. Authentic Cuban rolls used for this sandwich are sweet. This sugar wash process gives a similar effect to store bought rolls. When rolls come out of oven, split and pile on serving plate.
- Preheat a stovetop griddle over medium-high heat.
- Heat 1/4 c. corn oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Peel plantains and cut in half lengthwise, then slice each half into thirds on an angle. Arrange plantains in pan in a single layer and cook till crisp, continuously flipping for even browning. Remove from skillet to paper towel lined plate and season with fine salt.
- To assemble sandwiches: Thinly slice meat on an angle. Place ham and Swiss cheese on a serving plate, separating and fluffing up the shaved meat and cheese. Assemble sandwiches with desired fillings and place on a warm, buttered griddle. Use a heavy pan to press the sandwiches together. Toast till golden, then flip and toast the other side.
- Combine minced pickles, sweet red pepper relish and scallions in a small bowl.
- Spread the relish on the tops of the rolls and pork slices, ham, and swiss cheese on the bottoms. Press the sandwiches together. Put about 1 Tbsp. of butter on the warm griddle and spread to coat. Put 2 sandwiches at a time on the griddle, and top with a heavy cast-iron skillet. Toast sandwiches on the griddle, turning once, till golden brown, warm, and cheese is melted, 2 or possibly 3 min per side.
- Serve with a few slices of plantains per person as a side dish. Frzn Mohitos Slushes make a great drink or possibly dessert.
- This recipe yields up to 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment