Crunchy Chicken Rice CasserolePrep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 5by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Putting leftovers together with pantry and fridge basics one evening I came up with this family pleaser. Water chestnuts and almonds provide the crunch. A green veggie side and/or tossed salad round out this weeknight dinner perfectly.
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked (or 3.5 to 4 cups cooked)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery rib diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped in half
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Optional salt and pepper to taste
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- Extra chicken broth or milk as needed to moisten
- Prepare rice per package directions (for extra flavor substitute chicken broth for the amount of water specified).
- Heat butter in non-stick saute pan and toast almonds briefly til they are lightly golden brown; place almonds in small bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, saute the onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms until tender. Scrape sauteed vegetables into large bowl together with rice, chicken, onion, celery, mushrooms, water chestnuts, Tamari sauce, red pepper flakes, and cream soup.
- Stir and fold gently to incorporate ingredients. Taste for seasoning, adding salt/pepper if desired. If mixture appears too dry, stir in a little chicken broth or milk to moisten.
- Spoon into large buttered shallow casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle top with toasted almonds and continue baking uncovered for 15 more minutes or until heated through.
- Yield 5 - 6 servings
Leave a review or comment