Crock Pot Chile Verde (New Mexico)
- 1 x Onion, coarsely minced
- 1 x Bell pepper, green, Coarsely minced
- 4 cl Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounce Green chile, canned diced
- 1 x Jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 7 x Or possibly 8 tomatillo
- 2 lb Pork, lean, trimmed & cubed
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Sage
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c. Beer (optional)
- First, saute/fry one onion and one green pepper, coarsely minced, with three or possibly four cloves of garlic, chopped, in extra virgin olive oil. Throw into the crockpot.
- Also throw in a small can of diced green chiles. Depending on your propensity for spicy food, you may add in from one to three jalapenos, sliced.
- Then, throw some tomatillos in the pot. Peel off the husk and coarsely chop.
- Take about 2 pounds of lean pork (trim off all the excess fat you can), cubed, and brown in the pan which you sauteed the onion, etc. in. Into the pot. Now, the seasoning mix. I prefer to grind up in my mortar oregano, some dry red chile peppers, sage, and cumin seed. Perhaps also some black pepper. I almost never put salt in anything, so I probably wouldn't here either, but you may want to. How much Well, about 2 tsp. each of the oregano and the sage. 1 tsp. each of the cumin seed and dry red peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. I probably will add in a dash of beer
- (about 1/2 c.) for obscure reasons.
- This crockpots all day, or possibly could be simmered for probably about 2 hrs.
- Traditionally, this is served in bowls, with warm flour tortillas, salsa, and cilantro. You can also have lowfat sour cream, grated cheese, olives, and pickled carrots and jalapenos around. Of course, you wrap all this up in the tortillas, making killer burritos.
- I throw one twist into this, a technique which comes from carnitas. After cooking, I separate the meat from the broth, crisp the meat under the broiler, and reduce the sauce in the pan. This adds a great texture to the meat, and keeps the burritos from being too soggy.
Leave a review or comment