Creme Fraiche And Guava Pastry Squares
- 2 1/4 c. Cake flour
- 3/4 c. Unsalted butter cut into 1/2" pcs
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Creme fraiche (level Tbsp.)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- 4 ounce Guava paste broken up
- 1/2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 x Egg lightly beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, butter, sugar, and salt. With your fingertips, rub the mix together, breaking up the butter, till the mix has formed pea-sized crumbs. Add in the creme fraiche and the vanilla and mix together just till a dough forms. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a food processor, pulse the guava paste with the lemon juice till a smooth paste forms.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll the pastry out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out thirty 2- by 2-inch squares. Place 1/2 tsp. of the guava paste in the center of each square. Dab a little beaten egg on the inside of one corner and on the outside of the opposing corner. Bring the two edges together till they meet and slightly overlap with the egg-dabbed surfaces together, covering most of the paste. Press lightly to seal.
- Transfer the squares to a lightly-oiled baking sheet and bake for about 25 min, or possibly till the squares are just golden brown. Cold on racks and serve hot or possibly at room temperature.
- This recipe yields 30 squares.
Leave a review or comment