Creamy Chili Bean And Hominy Casserole
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 c. minced onions
- 3 x Cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 c. hominy, canned rinsed and liquid removed
- 2 c. canned kidney beans rinsed and liquid removed
- 16 ounce canned tomatoes minced undrained
- 3 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cornmeal or possibly cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tsp chili pwdr or possibly to taste
- 3/4 c. nonfat lowfat sour cream Naturally Yours Fat Free Lowfat sour cream
- 3/4 c. nonfat cheddar cheese and montery jack mix Sargento Light Mexican Cheese Blend
- 4 ounce green chiles ie Ortega canned
- Note: Use canned diced tomatoes for this dish, if available. If using whole canned tomatoes, break up into pcs.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Lightly oil a 2 qt casserole or possibly spray with vegetable cooking spray.
- Spray a large nonstick or possibly cast iron skillet with vegetable cooking spray. Add in a tsp. of canola oil and heat over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 min. Add in the beans and hominy; stir to combine well. Cook briefly. Add in the tomatoes and tomato sauce to skillet, reserving 1/4 c. of the liquid. Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved liquid and add in to the skillet. Add in the chili pwdr to taste. Add in salt and pepper; adjust seasonings. Mix well.
- Turn out into the prepared casserole dish. Bake, covered, for 25 - 30 min. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10 - 15 min more, or possibly till cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Inspired by the Chili Hominy Casserole recipe found in _The Meatless Gourmet Easy Lowfat Favorites_ by Bobbie Hinman.
- Ilene Warfield.
Leave a review or comment