Creamy Chicken Broccoli Salad With Almonds
- 1/2 c. blanched slivered almonds
- 1/2 lb broccoli florets bitesized pcs
- 2 c. roasted chicken breast meat minced (skinned, shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced scallions romaine lettuce for accompaniment
- 1 lb loaf sliced bread warmed to serve
- 1 x garlic bulb roasted
- 1/3 c. nonfat mayonnaise
- 1/3 c. lowfat lowfat sour cream
- 1/3 c. nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp warm and spicy mustard or possibly to taste
- 1 tsp minced fresh tarragon
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest Salt and freshly grnd white pepper
- 1. Hot the almonds till lightly browned, about 5 min in a dry non-stick pan set over medium heat. Set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli till crisp tender. Shock in ice water. Drain well. Set aside.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, combine garlic, mayonnaise, lowfat sour cream, yogurt, mustard, tarragon and lemon zest. Add in a healthy pinch each of salt and pepper. Whip to blend well.
- 4. Add in the chicken, scallions and almonds to the dressing. Stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 2 hrs before serving. May be prepared 1 day in advance.
- WRAP GARLIC in foil. Place on tray and bake in preheated 425F oven for 45 to 60 min. Let cold. Unwrap. Squeeze garlic from cloves.
- Yield: 1 heaping Tbsp. per garlic bulb.
- NOTES : Inspired by three versions: a recipe in Diane Worthington's California Cook book; the chicken salad with broccoli and almonds sold at Ralph's delicatessen this summer; and our habit. Lower the fat (combine dressings) and increase the flavor: add in tarragon, mustard and lemon peel. This is addictive stuff. Serve on a good sour dough bread or possibly an oat nut seeded bread. Chop finer and spread on crostini.
Leave a review or comment