Cracked Wheat And Barley Bread
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 c. barley flour or possibly uncooked quick oats
- 2 1/4 c. bread flour, divided
- 1 env or possibly 2 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1/4 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. honey or possibly dark corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. cooked cracked wheat or possibly bulgur, cooled
- In large bowl, stir together salt, whole-wheat flour, barley flour and 1 c. bread flour. Stir in yeast. Combine water, honey and extra virgin olive oil; heat to 120 to 130 degrees, then beat into flour mix. Add in cooked cracked wheat; mix well. Sprinkle bread board heavily with part of the remaining bread flour; knead dough till smooth but still slightly sticky, about 5 min, using as much of the bread flour as necessary. Cover; let rest 30 min. Shape to fit a buttered 8-inch round cake pan. Cover and let rise in pan till doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a sharp knife or possibly razor blade to slash top of risen loaf. Bake 10 min. Reduce oven to 350 degrees; bake 30 min more, or possibly till loaf sounds hollow when tapped (about 180 degrees internal temperature).
- Yield: 1 loaf, about 1 1/2 pounds.
Leave a review or comment