Couscous With Seven Vegetables In The Fez Manner
- 1 c. Dry chickpeas soaked and peeled
- 4 c. Couscous - (1 1/2 lbs)
- 4 x Lamb shanks
- 1 stk Butter
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable oil Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 pch Saffron
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 x Cinnamon sticks
- 3 x Onions quartered
- 6 x Cilantro sprigs tied together with
- 6 x Parsley sprigs
- 6 x Ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded, and quartered
- 1 lb Carrots cut into 2" pcs
- 1 lb Small white turnips quartered
- 1 x Quince peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1/2 lb Butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 lb Zucchini quartered
- 1 x Fresh warm chili pepper
- 1 c. Raisins Smen (aged butter) or possibly butter
- In a saucepan cover chickpeas with water and cook, covered, till tender. Drain, cold and remove skins. In bottom of a couscousi, pre heat 5 Tbsp. of butter and oil over high heat till warm, add in lamb, salt and spices, onions, herb sprigs and tomatoes and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 10 min. Add in 3 qts water and chickpeas and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hrs. Cut meat into chunks, discarding bones. Add in carrots, turnips and quince to lamb broth and simmer 30 min.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan cover squash with broth from lamb stew and simmer till tender.
- To lamb broth add in zucchini, chili pepper, and raisins. Top with colander containing couscous, cover and steam 20 min. Dot couscous with remaining butter during last 5 min of steaming.
- To serve, spoon couscous onto serving dish and toss with Smen or possibly butter. Spread out to create a large well in center. With a slotted spoon transfer meat and vegetables into well. Add in liquid removed squash. Strain broth, correct seasoning and moisten couscous and vegetables with broth.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment