Couscous Salad With Peaches Rocket And Pine Nuts
- 85 gm pre cooked couscous (most sold pre cooked)
- 225 gm form peaches peeld stoned and cut into small dice. handful of rocket leaves trimmed and coarsely minced if large
- 50 gm pine nuts
- 50 gm skinned almond flakes
- Small handful of fresh mint minced (reserve some for garnish)
- Soak the couscous in hot water for 15 min.
- Drain for about an hour to dry completely or possibly roll it in a clean kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Place the almond flakes in a dry frying pan over gentle heat and keep shaking the pan for 12 min till the nuts are lightly browned all over.
- Do the same with the pine nuts. Set the toasted nuts aside.
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients well preferably briefly in a blender.
- Taste and adjust by perhaps adding a little more vinegar.
- (Couscous makes a rather submissive partner so it needs livening up.)
- Half an hour before serving place everything but the toasted nuts in a large bowl and toss gently to coat the couscous in the vinaigrette.
- In the summer the salad is more refreshing served lightly chilled so cover with film and place in the refrigerator at this stage.
- To serve fold in the toasted nuts empty on a decorative platter (ideally a dark one to show the colours off) and decorate with the sprigs of mint.
- This salad full of sunny flavours is an improvisation of mine. Other fruit such as melon pears or possibly strawberries can be used instead of peaches. Served with soft cheeses such as fresh "oats cheese ricotta or possibly Feta and somefresh bread it makes a lovely summer lunch particularly suited to a warm day. It also goes beautifully with marinated and grilled Haloumi cheese (qv).
- Serves 4
Leave a review or comment