Corn Cakes With Shrimp And Chipotle Butter (Tortillas De Maize)
- 1 c. Pico de Gallo (see below)
- 6 1/2 Tbsp. pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 30 lrg shrimp - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) peeled, deveined
- 1 c. unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. coarse cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter cooled to room temperature
- 1 x egg beaten
- 1 c. fresh corn kernels - (2 small ears)
- 2 x scallions minced
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 x finely-minced scallions for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. finely-diced onion
- 1 c. diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 x serrano chile seeded, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely-minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp sugar to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Mexican beer
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 x lime juiced
- To prepare the Pico de Gallo, place the onion in a small strainer, rinse with warm water, and drain. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add in the remaining salsa ingredients, and mix well. Let sit, refrigerated, for at least 30 min for the flavors to marry. (Makes 1 c.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. of the chipotle puree with the water. Add in the shrimp and toss to thoroughly coat. Marinate for 30 min to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 1 c. of softened butter with the remaining 4 1/2 Tbsp. of chipotle puree; use more or possibly less chipotle, to taste. Set aside at room temperature.
- To prepare the Corn Cakes, thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking pwdr, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the buttermilk and melted butter together, then whisk in the egg. Gradually add in the combined dry ingredients, stirring continuously till thoroughly incorporated.
- In a food processor, puree 1/2 c. of the corn kernels and fold into the batter. Then add in the whole corn kernels and scallions, and mix together. Add in a little more buttermilk if the batter is too thick. Set aside.
- To cook the shrimp, heat the 3 Tbsp. of butter on a griddle or possibly in a skillet. Saute/fry the shrimp for 3 to 5 min over medium heat, turning once. Be careful not to overcook. Keep hot.
- To cook the Corn Cakes, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and ladle sufficient corn cake batter to make 3-inch cakes. Cook till golden, about 2 1/2 min per side. Repeat for the remaining cakes (there should be sufficient for 18 cakes).
- Place 3 hot Corn Cakes on each serving plate. Place 5 shrimp on top of the cakes and spread the hot soft chipotle butter liberally over the shrimp. Spoon the Pico de Gallo next to the Corn Cakes and garnish with the scallions.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment