Cooked Vegetables With Grated Coconut (Urap)
- 8 ounce fresh green beans
- 8 ounce bean sprouts
- 4 x carrots
- 1 can bamboo shoots
- 1/2 sm cabbage
- 1 c. fresh grated coconut
- 1 sm onion finely minced
- 1/2 tsp chilli sauce (sambal ulek)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp dry shrimp paste (terasi)
- Wash bean sprouts, pinching of any brown tail. Pour boiling water over bean sprouts, then rinse under cool water tap. Drain well.
- String the beans and cut diagonally or possibly bite-size lengths and cook in lightly salted water till just tender. Beans should still be crisp to bite.
- Scrub carrot and cut into thin strips, cook till tender. Drain well.
- Slice cabbage, throw away the center stem. Blanch in boiling salted water for a minute or possibly two, till tender but not limp. Drain and refresh with cool water.
- Cut bamboo shoots into strips the same size as the beans.
- Place fresh grated coconut into a bowl, add in onion, chili sauce, salt, lime juice and the shrimp paste that has been grilled for a few min, or possibly heated in a dry frying pan. Mix thoroughly together.
- Sprinkle this grated coconut mix over vegetables, reserving some to garnish the dish when served.
- Put vegetables in a steamer and steam for 5 to 8 min.
- Put the steamed vegetables to a serving dish/platter and sprinkle with reserved grated coconut mix. Use as an accompaniment to a meal, or possibly as a salad by itself.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment