Collard Greens With Almonds
- 1/4 c. almonds blanched, slivered
- 1 lb collard greens rinsed, and
- 1 x thick stems removed
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp umeboshi vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 sm garlic clove chopped
- In small skillet, toast almonds over medium heat till golden brown in color, 1 to 2 min; set aside.
- Layer 3 collard leaves. Roll into cylinder and slice crosswise into thin strips. Repeat till all leaves are sliced. In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add in greens, cover and steam 4 min.
- In small bowl, whisk sesame oil, both vinegars and garlic till blended. Toss greens with dressing and garnish with toasted almonds. Serve warm.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: Southerners tend to simmer greens for a long time with onions and garlic, and the results are quite delicious. But here the collards are steamed for a short time to retain their color and texture. They're tossed with a simple, full-flavored, tangy dressing and topped with toasted almonds, that add in a nice crunch.
Leave a review or comment