Cold Shrimp And Vegetable Spring Rolls With Cashew Dippin
- 1 lb Large shrimp, (about 15), shelled and deveined
- 3/4 c. Finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 c. Finely minced scallion greens
- 1 tsp Rice vinegar, or possibly to taste Twelve, (6 1/2-inch) rounds of rice paper*
- 3/4 c. Fresh coriander leaves
- 3/4 c. Finely shredded Bibb lettuce
- 3/4 c. Alfalfa sprouts Coriander sprigs
- 1 c. Unsalted roasted cashews, (about 1/4 lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. Plain yogurt
- 2 x Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice, or possibly to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce, or possibly to taste Cayenne to taste
- *Available at Asian markets
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook shrimp till just cooked through, 1 to 2 min, and drain. Let shrimp cold and cut into 1/4-inch pcs.
- In a small bowl toss carrot with scallion greens, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a small shallow baking pan or possibly cake pan with hot water. Working with 4 sheets rice paper at a time, immerse them in water and let stand till very pliable, about 45 seconds. Carefully arrange soaked sheets in a single layer on paper towels to drain. Working with 1 soaked sheet at a time and keeping remaining sheets covered with dampened paper towels, put sheet on a clean dry work surface and arrange about 1 Tbsp. coriander leaves in a horizontal line across bottom, leaving a 1-inch border on bottom edge and on each side. Top coriander with about 2 Tbsp. shrimp pcs and top shrimp with about 1 Tbsp. carrot mix. Sprinkle about 1 Tbsp. lettuce, about 1 Tbsp. sprouts, and salt and pepper to taste over carrot mix. Roll up filling tightly in sheet, folding in 2 sides of sheet to completely enclose filling, and continue rolling.
- Make more spring rolls in same manner with remaining 3 soaked sheets.
- Transfer assembled rolls to a tray and cover with dampened paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining 8 rice paper sheets and filling ingredients. Tightly cover tray with plastic wrap (keeping dampened paper towels directly on spring rolls). Spring rolls may be made 6 hrs ahead and chilled.
- Just before serving, with a serrated knife cut spring rolls in half diagonally. Arrange spring rolls on a platter and garnish with coriander sprigs. Serve spring rolls with cashew dipping sauce.
- To make cashew dipping sauce:In a food processor blend cashews with oil, scraping down sides, till mix forms a paste. Add in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste and blend till smooth. Dipping sauce may be made 4 days ahead and kept chilled, covered. Return dipping sauce to room temperature before serving.
- Makes about 1 1/2 c..
- Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres.
Leave a review or comment