Colcannon with KalePrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by Julia Ann Souders62 recipes>
An Irish potato dish, colcannon is mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale and a dollop of butter on top. This recipe changed little from Craig Cliaborne, The New York Times Menu cook Book, 1966. This is featured by 2007-2014 Netta Belle's Choice cookbookinabox "Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk Off." All Rights reserved.
- 2 pounds white potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups finely diced kale
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Peel, dice and cook potatoes in boiling water with 1/2 teaspoon salt until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, return to sauce pan and mash potatoes.
- Wash kale, cut away the stalks, finely dice the kale, cook in boiling water with 1/2 teaspoon salt until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and add to the mashed potatoes.
- Saute the onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until translucent.
- Add to the potatoes and kale.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and milk.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a greased baking dish, dot with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or to taste.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Leave a review or comment