Coconut Curry Tofu Stew With Spinach And Cabbage
- 12 ounce Tofu Mori-Nu lite hard liquid removed sliced and griddle-seared cut into chunks vegetable cooking spray
- 6 x dry shiitake mushrooms softened in warm water liquid removed and sliced
- 8 x thin scallions trimmed and diagonally sliced into 2-inch pcs
- 1 c. light coconut lowfat milk
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp light brown sugar or possibly less
- 1/2 tsp mild curry pwdr, yellow as for Korma
- 1/4 tsp warm curry pwdr, red or possibly Madras
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger root or possibly more
- 1 tsp chile paste with garlic
- 3/4 c. crushed tomatoes with puree, low salt low salt
- 1/3 x bell pepper, orange or possibly yellow cut into 2" strips or possibly 3/4-c. pepper strips, multi-colored
- 8 sm basil leaves chiffonade
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp vegetarian bouillon base
- 1 1/2 c. torn spinach leaves approximately
- 1/3 c. shredded cabbage such as napa or possibly savoy
- Drain the tofu and press for at least 10 min. Slice the block into three 1/2-inch slabs. Heat a griddle pan; spray the surface and lightly brown the tofu on both sides. When done, let cold slightly. Remove from the pan and cut into chunks for the soup.
- In a 3-qt saucepan, combine coconut lowfat milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powders, ginger and chile paste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add in tomatoes with juice, tofu, bell pepper, mushrooms, basil and scallions. Addthe water and the bouillon base. Cover and cook, stirring or possibly shaking occasionally for 5 or possibly 8 min or possibly till bell peppers are as soft was desired. Add in the cabbage; cover and cook for 2 to 3 min. Add in spinach; cover and cook for 2 to 3 min or possibly till vegetables are tender. Adjust seasoning with additional soy, chile paste or possibly curry pwdr. Continue to simmer gently till the flavors blend: to taste. Serve warm.
- TEST PANTRY: Sharwood's curries. Taste of Thai's Chile sauce with garlic; better than bouillon vegetable base; Taste of Thai's Light coconut lowfat milk.
- REVIEW: Excellent. Spicy coconut-curry broth sweetened with tomatoes and the little bit of brown sugar was light. Fun to eat; satisfying not filling. Could feed two if no side dishes available. - 07Oct98
- ORIGINAL: Omit the water and vegetarian bouillon; decrease tofu to 8-ounces; don't brown the tofu. Use bok choy or possibly spinach; omit cabbage.
- NOTES : Boy was it goood.
Leave a review or comment