Clifton's Beef Stew
- 1 3/4 lb beef stew meat
- 1 x onion minced
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 x bay leaf Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Water as needed
- 1 can tomatoes - (8 ounce)
- 1/2 c. tomato puree
- 2 c. beef stock
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1 lb carrots cut 1 1/2" chunks
- 1 3/4 lb boiling potatoes peeled, and cut 1 1/2" chunks
- 1 x onion quartered
- 3/4 lb celery cut 1 1/2" slices
- 1/2 c. frzn peas thawed
- Place stew meat, minced onion, paprika, bay leaf, salt and blackpepper to taste in roasting pan. Add in 1/2 c. water and mix well. Roast at 400 degrees 1 hour till meat is browned. Add in tomatoes, tomato puree and beef stock to meat mix and mix thoroughly. Bake 1 1/2 hrs longer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 c. water. Add in cornstarch mix to meat mix. Mix with wooden spoon and bake 30 min longer, stirring occasionally.
- While meat cooks, place carrots and potatoes in steamer rack and steam 20 to 30 min. Remove vegetables to platter but don't pour off vegetable juices. Place celery and quartered onion in steamer rack and steam till done, 10 to 15 min. Remove vegetables, but don't pour off juices. Add in peas to vegetable water and blanch 3 min. Drain.
- When meat is done, add in peas, warm steamed vegetables with juices to meat and gravy mix. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon. Garnish with peas.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment