Classic Strawberry Shortcake With Fresh Sauce
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking pwdr
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c. cool whipping cream
- 1 pt basket Santa Maria Valley strawberries, stemmed and halved Sugar to taste
- 1 pt basket Santa Maria Valley strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 c. whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with sugar, to taste Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. To make shortcakes, in bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking pwdr and salt. Gently stir with fork, gradually fold in cream till just combined. Mix should barely hold together. With hands, form dough into six balls; place 3 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in center of oven 25 to 30 min till light golden; cold on baking sheet.
- Fresh Strawberry Sauce:In blender container, puree strawberries till smooth. Sweeten to taste with sugar; cover and set aside.
- Split shortcakes horizontally. Divide sauce among six dessert plates; top each with a shortcake bottom, 1/4 c. sliced strawberries and 1/4 c. whipped cream. Cover with shortcake tops. Spoon remaining strawberries and whipped cream over shortcakes, dividing equally. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Leave a review or comment