Clara Joslin's Banana Nut Cake With Chocolate Chips
- Shortening as needed
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 x Large eggs
- 3 lrg ripe bananas thoroughly mashed
- 1/2 c. minced walnuts
- 1/2 c. miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. toasted wheat germ (optional)
- Spread shortening on the bottom and sides of a (9-inch-square) baking pan. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking pwdr, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar till well blended. Add in the Large eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Alternately add in the dry ingredients and the mashed bananas to the batter, beating slowly after each addition. Stir in the nuts, chocolate chips and wheat germ if used.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, smooth the top proportionately, then spread the batter slightly toward the pan edges.
- Bake till a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is lightly springy to the touch, 30 to 35 min. Cut into squares to serve.
- This recipe yields 9 servings.
Leave a review or comment