Cinnamon Scottish SconesPrep: 10 min Cook: 12 min Servings: 12by B Innes83 recipes>
Warm buttery treats for any morning or brunch
- For the Filling:*
- ½ Cup of softened butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs Cinnamon
- For the Scottish Scones
- ¾ cup milk, or butter milk
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter chilled cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbs shortening- to grease baking sheet
- 3- 4 Tbs flour for kneading
- will make enough for 5-6 batches of scones, keep in refrigerator in air tight container
- Place all the filling ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine until you have a mixture that resembles a mixture about 2-3 times as thick as cornmeal with no lumps larger than small peas. Place in airtight container and hold in the refrigerator.
- Pre heat oven to 425º. with the rack in the cener of the oven.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with the shortening.
- In the bowl of a food processor place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and pulse until you have a mixture the consistancy of cornmeal.
- Place this mixture into a bowl and add the milk and egg and stir lightly until all are combine thourouhly.
- On a clean work surface place a light dusting of flour and on top of this spoon 2-3 Tbs of the Cinnamon mixture, place the Scone mixture on top of this and top that with another 2-3 Tbs of cinnamon and a light dusting of flour. Gently knead this mixture about 10 times to combine (the secret to a great scone is to work the dough as little as possible; as the more you work it the tougher the dough becomes). Form into a ball and cut in ½. Form each half into a ball and flatten out to about ½"- 1" thickness. Cut each round into 6 pieces and place on the greased baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake for 12 minutes until risen and cooked through and lightly browned on top.
- Place onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Best served warm with softened butter.
- If you find this recipe interesting, visit our blog site at www.rantsravesandrecipes.com
Leave a review or comment