Cilantro Lime Taco SoupPrep: 10 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 5by Robyn Medlin45 recipes>
Well, I may be “Grill Girl” but I still use my stove top from time to time just to make sure I remember how. This week we got hit by a tropical depression so the grilling conditions were less than ideal. However, it was the perfect time to be cozy inside and make this hearty soup. Here’s a little secret you don’t have to tell your family so they will unsuspectingly enjoy this dish to the fullest: it is actually low fat, loaded in fiber and meat-free! I didn’t tell Scott that this dish was vegetarian until AFTER he had eaten 2 bowls with lots of moaning in the process. After he enjoyed it so much, he couldn’t complain about it being vegetarian!
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 oz) can vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans (navy beans)
- 1 (16 oz) can fat-free refried beans
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes (I used the chili-lime version)
- 1 (15 0z) can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 can lime beer
- 1 small container of fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Grated mexican cheese- (cheddar, pepper jack, etc) for garnish
- Saute onions in a large pot. Add chopped garlic, let it soften but not burn.
- Next, add both cans of tomatoes and the refried beans and stir together. Then add all the other canned ingredients- do not drain the beans but please make sure to drain the corn if used from a can.
- Add the taco mix, half the can of beer and lime juice. Add 2 of the three tablespoons of cilantro.
- Cover and simmer for an hour.
- For the garnish- mix 1/3 cup of sour cream with one tablespoon cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and a dash or sea salt.
- When serving, add on top with cheese and fritos.
Leave a review or comment