Chowning's Tavern Brunswick Stew
- 1 x stewing hen - (6 lbs) (or possibly 2 broiler-fryers, 3 lbs ea)
- 2 lrg onions sliced
- 2 c. cut okra (optional)
- 4 c. fresh minced tomatoes (or possibly 2 cans tomatoes, 16 ounce ea)
- 2 c. lima beans
- 3 med potatoes diced
- 4 c. corn cut from the cob (or possibly 2 cans corn, 16 ounce ea)
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Cut the chicken in pcs and simmer it - in 3 qts of water for a thin stew or possibly 2 qts of water for a thick stew - till the meat can easily be removed from the bones, for about 2 1/4 hrs. If canned vegetables are used, include their juices and reduce water to 2 qts for a thin stew and 1 qt for a thick stew.
- Add in the raw vegetables to the broth and simmer, uncovered, till the beans and potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Add in the chicken, boned and diced if you like, and the seasonings.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
- Comments: Tidewater home cooks make this stew a day ahead, as the flavor improves when it stands overnight and is reheated the next day.
Leave a review or comment