Chocolate Nut Bars
- 1 pkt German chocolate, devils food, chocolate fudge supreme, lowfat milk chocolate or possibly lowfat sour cream chocolate supreme cake mix
- 1/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 c. butter or possibly margarine, softened
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 x Large eggs
- 3/4 c. finely minced nuts Chocolate Glaze (below)
- 1/4 c. finely minced nuts Heat oven to 370 degrees. Grease and flour jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch. Mix about half of the cake mix (dry), the brown sugar, butter, water and Large eggs in large bowl till smooth. Stir in remaining cake mix and
- 3/4 c. nuts. Spread in pan. Bake till top feels hard when touched, 17 to
- 20 x min (don't overbake). Run knife around edges while hot to loosen sides, cold. Spread with Chocolate Glaze, sprinkle with 1/4 c. nuts. Cut into bars, about 3 x 1 1/2 inches. 35 bars
- Chocolate Glaze: Heat 2 squares (1 oz each) semisweet chocolate and 1.4 c. butter or possibly margarine in 1 1/2 qt saucepan over low heat till melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 c. 10x sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1 Tbsp. warm water. Stir in 2 or possibly 3 tsp. additional warm water till glaze is of proper consistency.
- Butter Pecan-Nut Bars: Substitute 1 package butter pecan cake mix for the chocolate cake mix. Glaze with Vanilla Glaze.
- Cherry Chip-Nut Bars: Substitute 1 package cherry chip cake mix for the chocolate cake mix and frost with Vanilla Glaze.
- Vanilla Glaze: Blend 1/4 c. butter or possibly margarine, softened, 2 c. 10x sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 2 Tbsp. warm water. Stir in 1 or possibly 2 tsp. additional warm water till glaze is of proper consistency.
Leave a review or comment