Chocolate Lava Cakes With Coffee Custard Sauce
- 6 1/2 ounce Bittersweet or possibly semisweet chocolate, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 pch Salt
- 4 lrg Egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 lrg Egg whites Coffee Custard Sauce, (recipe follows) Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 425F. Butter four 3/4-c. custard c.. Dust with flour; shake out excess. Combine chocolate, butter, and salt in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir till chocolate is melted and mix is smooth. Remove from over water. Cold 10 min. Beat egg yolks and 3 Tablespoons sugar in large bowl, till thick and light, about 2 min. Mix in chocolate mix. Using electric mixer fitted with clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites and 1 Tablespoons sugar in medium bowl, till stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into chocolate mix in 3 additions. Divide batter among prepared c..
- Place custard c. on baking sheet. Bake till cakes are puffed but still soft in center, about 11 min. Transfer baking sheet to rack. Cold cakes 1 minute. Using small knife, cut around sides of cakes to loosen. Place plates on top of c.. Invert onto plates; remove c.. Spoon Coffee Custard Sauce around cakes. Top with whipped cream if you like.
- Coffee Custard Sauce
- 3 large egg yolks 1/4 c. sugar 1 c. whipping cream 1 tsp. instant coffee pwdr 1 1/2 tsp. coarsely grnd espresso beans
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl till thick and light yellow; about 2 min. Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk warm cream into yolk mix. Return mix to same saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat till sauce thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 3 min (don't boil). Strain mix into clean medium bowl, Add in coffee pwdr; stir till dissolved. Stir in grnd espresso beans.Chill till cool., whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.
- (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.
Leave a review or comment