Chocolate Chili With Pinto Beans
- 1 1/2 lb Lean pork, diced fine or possibly Coarsely grnd lean pork
- 1 1/2 lb Lean beef, diced fine or possibly Coarsely grnd lean beef
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 med Onions, minced coarse
- 2 c. Tomato juice
- 3 c. ,water
- 5 Tbsp. Chili pwdr, or possibly to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Grnd cumin
- 3 Tbsp. Oregano
- 3 Tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt or possibly to taste, optional
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic, minced fine
- 3 Tbsp. White cornmeal
- 2 can Pinto beans (1 lb each), liquid removed and rinsed Onion, minced Shredded lettuce Flour tortillas
- In a large saute/fry pan or possibly flameproof caserole, cook the pork and beef over moderate heat, stirring frequently, till both meats lose their pink color but are not browned, about 15 min. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan till rippling and add in the onions. Saute/fry stirring occasionally, till soft and translucent/soft, 10 min.
- Stir the reserved meat into the onions. Add in the tomato juice, 3 c. of water, the chili pwdr, cumin, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt
- (optional). Blend. Turn the heat to high and bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning. Add in more chili pwdr if desired your chili really searing. Cook 30 min longer. Stir in the garlic, cornmeal, and beans.
- Simmer for 10 min more till the beans are heated through.
- GARNISHES: Minced onions, grated Parmesan, shredded lettuce, or possibly lowfat sour cream may be used to garnish.
- Serves 8.
Leave a review or comment