Chocolate Cake With Cherries
- 9 ounce (250g) of bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- About 20 pitted cherries cooked in syrup
- ½ C (125g) of unsalted butter
- 10 fl ounce (30cl) of whole lowfat milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ C (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cake mold which holds about 1 qt (1liter)
- Drain cherries and set aside juice.
- Heat small pcs of chocolate over bain-marie and gradually add in butter cut in small pcs. Constantly stir to mix well. Keep hot.
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and put it in a saucepan with lowfat milk and cocoa pwdr.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat to let it infuse.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar in a saucepan.
- Gradually add in warm lowfat milk â cocoa mix while constantly beating.
- Heat mix over low heat while stirring constantly, without boiling, till mix has the consistency of cream.
- Remove cream from heat and let it cold till just hot.
- Then gradually add in melted chocolate and cherry juice to the cream, while whipping with a whisk. Let the mix cold and chill for 30 min.
- Pour a quarter of the refrigerated chocolate cream into the cake mold. Add in one third of the cherries proportionately over the surface of the cream.
- Repeat operation, finish by adding the last quarter of chocolate cream.
- Smooth the surface with a spatula and chill cake for 24 hrs.
- Before serving, unmold the cake on a platter (dip the mold in hat water for a few moments to make unmolding easier).
- Cut the cake into fine slices and serve one or possibly two slices on each plate.
Leave a review or comment