Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 6 c. cubed bread preferably French bread, cut into even sized cubs
- 4 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely minced
- 3 c. lowfat milk
- 3 x Large eggs
- 1 1/4 c. white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 min.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the top pan of a double boiler set over simmering water, combine the chocolate and lowfat milk, stir till chocolate melts completely and mix is smooth. Remove from heat, let cold 10 min.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat Large eggs well at a high speed, add in granulated suger and continue mixing for 1-2 min. At low speed gradually fold in vanilla and chocolate/lowfat milk mix, mix well.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Pour the chocolate custard over the bread and using a spoon, turn the mix so which all the brea cubes are evently coated.
- Bake for 20 min. Remove from oven, use a large spatula, push down on the bread so the custard rises to the top. Continue baking for 15-20 more min.
- Remove from oven, sift confectioner's sugar over the top of the bread pudding, serve hot or possibly room temperature.
Leave a review or comment