Chocolate and Eggplant Cake (Torta di Melanzane al Cioccolato)Prep: 40 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 8by Evelyn Scott106 recipes>
A delicious and different way to use all those eggplants we soon will have from either our own, or from our friends gardens.
- 1 large or two medium eggplants
- 2 oz (50 grams) plain white or Italian type 00 flour, for dusting
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- 2-4 tablespoons (30-60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 14 oz (400 grams) dark chocolate with 70 per cent cocoa solids
- 1 oz (25 grams) unsalted butter
- 4 tbs (60 ml) cherry conserve or jam
- Icing sugar (infused with a vanilla pod), for sprinkling
- Grease and line a 8 inch (20 cm) loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Thinly slice the eggplants.
- Sprinkle with salt, put in a bowl, cover and weigh down.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry.
- Dust in the flour and then dip into the beaten eggs.
- Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil.
- When the olive oil is hot, add the eggplant slices,
- about 6 slices at a time, and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together.
- Place a layer of eggplant in the bottom of the prepared tin.
- Spread over some of the chocolate mixture and then some cherry conserve.
- Continue layering, ending with a chocolate layer.
- Leave in a cool place, but not in the fridge,
- until the chocolate has set.
- To serve, sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
Leave a review or comment