China In A Pan
- 5 x Sweet bagels
- 115 gm Butter, plus extra to grease
- 4 x Large eggs, plus 6 egg yolks
- 1 x Orange, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Greek lowfat yoghurt
- 1 x 80 grams pac pecan nut halves
- 1 sm Bunc fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp. Blossom honey
- 1 x Lime, juice of
- 4 x Nashi pears, top, tailed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. Demerara sugar
- 300 ml Double cream
- 300 ml Lowfat milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- 1 x 280 gram jar stem ginger in syrup
- 1 sprg fresh mint, to decorate
- 1 For the French Toasts: Cut two bagels horizontally into three slices and spread with 25g/1oz butter. Beat 4 Large eggs in a bowl, add in the bagels and dip
- in the egg till soaked.
- 2 Heat 25g/1oz butter in a frying pan. Add in the soaked bagels and cook for
- about 2-3 min on each side, or possibly till golden.
- 3 Serve the bagels topped with orange slices and spoonfuls of Greek lowfat yoghurt. Decorate with mint sprigs.
- 4 For the Sweet Pesto: Place half the pecans in a mini chopper with a small bunch of mint, honey and lime juice and process till finely minced.
- 5 For the Caramelised Pears: Cut the pears into quarters and cut out the cores. Heat the extra virgin olive oil and 25g/1oz butter in a saute/fry pan.
- 6 Add in the pears, sprinkle over 4 tbsp demerara sugar and cook till the pears begin to caramelise.
- 7 Add in the remaining pecans and cook, turning occasionally, till the pears
- are tender and caramelised. Serve with spoonfuls of the sweet pesto, drizzle over 2 tbsp cream and decorate with mint sprigs.
- 8 For the Bread and Butter Pudding: Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas 4 and grease a large gratin dish well with butter. Cut the remaining bagels
- horizontally into three slices and spread with 25g/1oz butter.
- 9 Heat the lowfat milk and remaining cream in a pan. Mix together 6 egg yolks, caster sugar and cornflour in a bowl. Slowly stir half the hot lowfat milk mix into the egg yolks and pour the mix back onto the remaining lowfat milk in pan. Heat gently, stirring continuously, till the mix has thickened.
- 10 Strain the stem ginger, reserving the syrup. Add in half the syrup to the
- custard and finely chop the stem ginger.
- 11 Pour a third of the custard into the gratin dish, arrange half the bagels on top and sprinkle over a little of the minced ginger.
- Repeat the layers and finish with the rest of the custard. Sprinkle 2 tbsp demerara sugar over the top and bake for 30-40 min, or possibly till set and golden.
Leave a review or comment