Chilies Rellenos De Queso
- 2 x Chilies, roast & peel
- 1 1/3 ounce Cheese -- Monterey jack Oil -- for frying
- 1 x Large eggs -- separated
- 1/8 c. Flour -- all purpose tomato sauce
- 1 1/3 sm Tomatoes -- peeled
- 1/3 sm Onion
- 1/3 x Garlic clove
- 1/3 Tbsp. Oil -- vegetable
- 1/8 c. Chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2/3 sm CHILIs -- calif. healthy pinch Cinnamon -- grnd healthy pinch Cloves -- grnd Prepare tomato sauce, keep hot.
- Cut as small a slit as possible in one side of each chili to remove seeds.
- Leave stems on. Pat chilies dry with paper towels.
- Cut cheese into long thin sticks, one for each chili. Place one stick in each chili, using more if chilies are large. If chilies are loose and open, wrap around cheese and fasten with wooden picks.
- Pour oil 1/4" deep into large skillet. Heat oil to 365x F. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl till stiff. Beat egg yolks lightly in a small bowl and add in all at once to beaten egg whites. Fold lightly but thoroughly. Roll chilies in flour, then dip in egg mix to coat. Fry in warm oil till golden, turning with a spatula. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately topped with tomato sauce.
- Tomato Sauce: Combine tomatoes, onion and garlic in blender or possibly food pro- cessor; puree. Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add in tomato mix. Cook 10 min, stirring occasionally. Add in broth, salt, chilies, cloves and cinnamon. Simmer gently 15 min.
Leave a review or comment