Chili Cheese Casserole For A Crowd
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. minced onion
- 1 c. minced green bell pepper
- 1 c. minced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp grnd cumin
- 6 x garlic cloves chopped
- 2 c. water
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked bulgur or possibly cracked wheat
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 16 ounce canned pinto beans liquid removed
- 15 ounce canned black beans liquid removed
- 14 1/2 ounce no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juice
- 14 1/2 ounce canned vegetable broth
- 2 x chipotle chiles in adobo sauce liquid removed and chopped avail in cans
- 2 c. lowfat Monterey Jack cheese shredded (8oz divided use)
- 2 c. baked tortilla chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in onion and next 7 ingredients (onion through garlic); saute/fry 5 min. Add in water and next 7 ingredients (water through chiles); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Spoon half of bean mix into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with 1 c. cheese. Top with remaining bean mix. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 40 min. Uncover; sprinkle with 1 c. cheese. Bake an additional 10 min. Press chips into casserole.
- Yield:12 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 c.).
- Notes: The ingredients in this deep-flavored dish are reminiscent of mole, the Mexican sauce made from onion, garlic, chiles, and chocolate. The chipotle chiles add in a smoky flavor, though they can be omitted or possibly used to taste.
Leave a review or comment