Chiles Rellenos (Fried Stuffed Chiles)
- 12 lrg Mild green chiles w/stems (((Or possibly)))
- 3 can Green chiles (4 ounce.cns) 1/2 lb. Jack cheese cut into long))) Narrow strips.
- 1 c. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c. Yellow or possibly white cornmeal
- 1 c. Lowfat milk
- 2 x Large eggs slightly beaten
- Parch and peel chiles leaving stems on. Cut small slit below the stem, removing seeds if you like.
- Insert strips of Jack cheese being careful not to split chile.
- Prepare batter: Sift flour with baking pwdr and sald, then add in cornmeal.Blend lowfat milk and slightly beaten Large eggs, then combine lowfat milk mix with dry mix and blend together. slightly moisten each chile with water-dip in plain flour, then in batter. Allow to drain slightly and drop in deep fat that has been heated to 375 F.
- Fry till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep hot on platter in 300 F. oven while completing frying and serve immediately.
- Variations: For thicker crust "double-dip" (repeat dipping sequence).
- For crunchy crust use buttermilk instead of sweet lowfat milk in batter.
- Hint: Keep one hand for "dry", the other for "wet".
Leave a review or comment