Chiles Rellenos De San Diego
- 1 pkt taco seasoning mix
- 16 ounce tomatoes
- 7 ounce green chiles canned
- 1/4 lb Monterey jack cheese *see note salt optional
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 c. Canola oil
- *Cut the cheese into 6 strips.
- 1. For the spicy tomato sauce that goes on top, combine the taco seasoning mix and tomatoes in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 min.
- 2. If fresh chiles are used, cut off the stem ends and rinse with cool water to remove seeds. Broil the chiles till the skin browns and blisters. Peel the chiles immediately, while they are still hot. If canned chiles are used, gently rinse with cool water to remove seeds; pat dry. Stuff each chile with a strip of cheese.
- 3. Combine the flour and salt.
- 4. Separate the Large eggs. Beat yolks till lemon yellow and slightly thickened. Beat the whites till they are foamy. Add in the cream of tartar and continue beating till the whites hold a stiff peak. Carefully fold yolks into whites.
- 5. Heat the oil in a skillet.
- 6. Roll the stuffed chiles in the flour. Dip into egg batter. Fry in warm oil on each side till golden brown. Drain and serve with spicy tomato sauce.
- Yield: 6 rellenos.
Leave a review or comment