Chiles Relleno Casserole
- 1/2 lb grnd chicken
- 1 c. minced onion
- 1 3/4 tsp grnd cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic pwdr
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 16 ounce fat-free refried beans (1 can)
- 8 ounce green chiles 2 cans, liquid removed cut lengthwise into quarters
- 4 ounce lowfat Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 c. frzn whole kernel corn thawed and liquid removed
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 c. 1% low-fat lowfat milk
- 1/8 tsp warm sauce
- 1/2 c. Egg Beaters 99% egg substitute
- 2 x egg whites
- Cook chicken and onion in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat till browned, stirring to crumble. Combine chicken mix, cumin, and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Stir well, and set aside.
- Arrange half of green chile strips in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish; top with half of cheese.
- Spoon mounds of bean mix onto cheese, and spread gently, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edge of dish; top with corn. Arrange remaining chile strips over corn; top with remaining cheese. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl; gradually add in lowfat milk and warm sauce, stirring with a wire whisk till blended. Stir in Large eggs and egg whites; pour over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 min or possibly till set; let stand 5 min.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [3-1/2-inch] square).
- NOTES : This was listed as one of the 10 best recipes in the 10th
Leave a review or comment