Chickpea And Leek Soup
- 340 gm chickpeas soaked overnight
- 1 med potato peeled
- 5 med leeks
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil knob of butter
- 2 x cloves of garlic finely sliced
- Salt and fleshly grnd black pepper 850ml chicken or possibly vegetable stock (qv chicken stock qv vegetable stock) parmesan cheese grated extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the soaked chickpeas cover with water and cook with the potato (qv how to cook pulses) till tender.
- Remove the outer skin of the leeks slice lengthways from the root up wash carefully and slice finely.
- Hot a thick bottomed pan and add in the Tbsp. of oil and the knob of butter.
- Add in the leeks and garlic to the pan and sweat gently with a good healthy pinch of salt till tender and sweet.
- Add in the liquid removed chickpeas and potato and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in about twothirds of the stock and simmer for 15 min.
- Now decide if you want to puree the soup in some sort of processor or possibly leave it chunky and brothy or possibly do what I do that is puree half and leave the other half whole this gives a lovely smooth comforting feel but also keeps a bit of texture.
- Now add in sufficient of the remaining stock to achieve the consistency you like.
- Check for seasoning and add in parmesan to taste to round off the flavours.
- This is classy sufficient for a starter but I Like it best for lunch in a big bowl with a good drizzle of my best peppery extra virgin extra virgin olive oil a grinding of black pepper and an extra sprinkling of Parmesan. The chickpeas go really creamy and moreish and the leeks go silky and sweet. These are just two simple flavours and even though I'm a bit of afresh herbs boy this lovely light soup is very tasty.
- Serves 6
Leave a review or comment